HAVE YOU HUGGED A PEST TODAY? ....a wikimedia pest

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bachelor Philosopher Number One: Carl Baydala

.
Bachelor Philosopher Number One:
.
Carl Baydala
.


.
1949 - present
.
This is my first installment of my new blog: The Bachelor Philosophers. I would categorize the study of philosophy as my main area of interest at this point in my life. I am in the process of gaining insights into this fascinating study. I would call myself ' a philosopher in training ' and I am learning on the job as it were. My main tool of study is my computer and the internet.
.
Anyone who begins a study of philosophy will immediately discover that many of the well-known philosophers were in fact, bachelors. I thought this was a telling revelation and part of my philosophical job will be to try and determine why and how these men became philosophers. Did their bachelorhood have anything to do with their frame of mind and the things that they were interested in? What was the effect of the women in their lives and how did they influence their philosophies? Is their something about the ' solitude ' of being a bachelor that aids these men in their insights? I would be interested in these kinds of issues and many others as well. You may appreciate, for example, that I feel a sort of kinship or brotherhood with these men and I feel that I have discovered some new friends. I would encourage anyone who is searching for new friends or some new ideas to discover these men and their ideas. You will not be disappointed.
.
As my study of philosophy entails something that interests me, and, in fact, amounts to a hobby if you will, there will be no firm strategy as to how to proceed in this new field of mine. I will go where my mind tells me to go. And, when I discover another bachelor philosopher I will do my best to tell you about him and what I have learned from him. And, I will do my very best to try and attempt an original analysis of the man's work; I will make a determined effort to offer an opinion on what I think the philosopher is saying or trying to accomplish - from my point of view.
.
And, finally, I could not in any way purport to be an expert in any of the philosophies of the men that I will present to you. Rather, I think a better approach would be to focus on some aspect of the mens' work that jumps out at me and causes me to think or to construct an idea as a consequence of being exposed to their thoughts. I don't think much more than that can be expected.
.
.
Interests:
.
philosophy of love; the problem of lust; the personality of God; idealism and materialism; the existence of God; the idea of power.
.
.
Education:
.
Simon Fraser University, 1973
.
.
.Publications:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: