HAVE YOU HUGGED A PEST TODAY? ....a wikimedia pest

Sunday, June 07, 2009

A Summary of my Life: 1949 to 1967

.
.
A Summary of my Life:
.
1949 to 1967
.
.
Friends, a major purpose of this blog is to outline my life for you and enable you to understand my personality in a more complete manner. And, I cannot accomplish that task without providing historical documentation on my life.
.
My very early childhood was generally a happy time in spite of the economic difficulties involved. There was an early family breakup and my mother would become a single working parent. But, we survived and I had my good and bad years in school. I was a very carefree child at a very early age as I outlined for you already. I didn't realize how lucky I was I suppose to have all of that freedom at such at early age. This is the time period of growing up in Steveston, which was a small fishing community on the southern part of Richmond municipality, situated on the mouth of the Fraser River.
.
My early teenage years had some very difficult moments. Although I was generally successful at school and had many friends that I gathered with at lunch time there were some very trying times. I was bullied by one individual who seemed somewhat different than the rest of us. He did not like me and he was bigger and stronger. He hung out with his own gang of people and they did not like me, but I think it was mainly him who did not like me. They provoked me into a fight one time and I was so mad that I said that I would fight one of them. This person that I picked out to fight did not want to, so that was the end of that particular incident, but not the bullying from this one dominant person.
.
I considered myself to a creative sort of person in Junior and Senior High School. I liked art and I remember spending lots of time drawing things, especially mountain scenes and the like. I also fantasized a lot about nature and fishing in fast running mountain creeks. I remember, for example, digging up the back yard in my early teens and creating lakes and mountains with the dirt that I had dug up. And, I even put flour on top of the mountains to make it look like snow.
.
In 1967 I am eighteen years old. This is the time in which I have to decide what I want to be in the future and I have to attempt to provide a means in which to achieve my objectives. This time period also marks a half way point in my life - mid-point in the sense that a major historical event will occur later on in the latter part of 1983. I have already detailed for you in other parts of this blog, the incident in question. Now, that incident could not occur in isolation as you may expect; my actions and reactions to that event would undoubtedly not have occurred without some supporting details to allow them to happen; I would not have acted in the manner that I did on that day unless certain things happened in my life prior to that event.
.
I am also a teenager full of ambition in 1967. I am finishing high school, I have a means of transportation and a summer job. This means that I can buy toys for myself and also pay for my education if need be. I am living at home and there is no outward pressure to simply get a job in order to survive. I have bought a lot of time if I need it in order to accomplish my goals, whatever they might be.
.
In my late teen years I did not really know what I wanted to become and I was simply enjoying life as it was being presented to me. The carnival business and university life would both provide wonderful experiences for me. However, in the summer of 1967 I did not have any real employment objectives and no one in the family could act as a role model in this regard. There was no family business and no one had a job in an occupation that I could study for and become gainfully employed at. There was of course the carnival business, but I did not consider this industry to be something that I wanted to succeed at in a professional manner. I considered it just as summer employment anyway, or a first job.
.
I lived in a working class or blue collar neighbourhood prior to my last couple of high school years. One of my friends quit school and was employed as an iron worker. I thought that might be something for me to do so I applied to take the classes. I was accepted but I did not even bother going to the classes. I suppose I felt that there was something wrong with that kind of occupation and I felt intimidated by the whole idea, of working in the trades, that is. I did not know that I was sorrowfully afraid of heights anyway so that would an extremely dumb move on my part to take on that task.
...
I remember though that I did really want to try and make something of myself. I did not want to be left out and become poor as it were. I was actually quite ambitious and a hard worker down at the amusement park, but I knew that there was mostly likely more to life than working in a carnival concession for the rest of my life. I applied for university at the still very young Simon Fraser University, the " Instant University ", and I was accepted. I would start in the Fall of 1968 and would keep on going there until 1973.
.
Here is another song from 1967
.
Jay & The Techniques -
Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie
.




.
.

No comments: