HAVE YOU HUGGED A PEST TODAY? ....a wikimedia pest

Friday, August 29, 2008

Today I thought of Alaska and so did John McCain.

.
.
.
Today I thought of ALASKA
.
and so did John McCain
.
.
.
.
Sarah Palin for vice-president of the United States
.
.
As my regular readers will know the girl of my dreams lives in the Great State of Alaska. And, now it seems, the girl of Senator John McCain's dreams lives in Alaska as well.
.
Today was a fun and productive day for me at work and I had to get an early start as I was heading out into the Fraser Valley all the way out to Chilliwack and the road that leads to Chilliwack Lake. I think about my friend all of the time and the State of Alaska as well when I am performing my courier duties. And, today made me think about her even more as the weather was quite Alaskan-like in its appearance. Alaska has had a lot of rain lately, so today really reminded me of Alaska and the weather there. It was raining as I headed out into the Fraser Valley, and windy too. Just like in Alaska I thought to myself. It was even more Alaskan-like I thought once I got out as far as Chilliwack and then headed out along the Chilliwack Lake Road.

The rain was pounding down on the pavement in front of me and the swirls of wind were whisking it quickly away. And, off to my right the Chilliwack River was like a torrent, full of fresh rain from the mountains and making its way full speed ahead to the mighty Fraser River. I thought of the steelhead that I had fished for in that river and of the many who must have rafted down it as well. It truly is a spirit-filled river, full of life and explosive behavior. I felt like I was in Alaska today, feeling the wilderness and contemplating the solitude of the whole thing as well. I thought of bears appearing out of nowwhere, but it was not to be today. Surely, this is why Alaskans like living there - just them and nature and nothing else. I thought of my friend and how she must enjoy her life up there in that last frontier.
.
I completed my mission that I had come for and started to head back toward Vancouver. It did not take long to get back into the main part of Chilliwack and civilization. I was always amazed at the amount of traffic on the road that constitutes the southern part of Chilliwack, that north south road that leads from the freeway down to the Chilliwack River. It was like this twenty or thirty years ago I contemplated. Just a well-used road with an endless stream of traffic. I bought some gas at the Chevron and continued on with my journey back towards the west. I was soon on the freeway and making my way towards Abbotsford. Twenty minutes later, I was in Abbotsford and I pulled off a ramp as I had to make a pickup in the southern part of town. I stopped and noticed the vehicle in front of me. It was a big rig hauling a trailer. It had Alaskan plates on her. And, the writing on the back of the trailer read: " translators for Wycliffe Bibles " Good grief, I thought to myself: Alaska and God. Two things that I think of constantly. What could be next? And, what did it all mean? Surely, the courier gods are trying to tell me something. But, what is it? Will they let me know later and will there be anymore clues?
.
I made my pickup in Abbotsford and proceeded to get another in a different part of the City. Another pickup for a lawfirm going all the way back to downtown Vancouver. So, I would be going back to the core after it seemed. It was a good thing that I was able to gather up deliveries and to have some action going back into the downtown core. But, then again, it was the end of the month so it was not entirely unexpected either.
.
I headed back on the freeway and made my way to Langley where I would stop and make a couple more pickups before heading to downtown Vancouver. I had my CD going and I was listening to Englebert Humperdinck and his song ' Release Me ' I thought about the Karaoke song that I did when I sang that song at my friend's 34th wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

In the fast lane beside me passed another vehicle that caught my attention. It was an SUV with the inscription " Praise 106.5 " A religious radio station. These Christians just never seem to leave me alone now do they? Maybe God is just thinking about me and taking care of me. I suppose that would be allright if it was the case - and if He existed, that is. Later on I drove through central Langley and passed by the old Campus Crusades building. More religion, I thought. It must mean something, I suppose.
.
To make a long story short, I drove to downtown Vancouver and completed my deliveries. As I drove into the downtown core the weather was clearing nicely. There was a strong west wind and I felt a sense of pride as I noticed some Canadian flags flapping freely on top of some of the larger buildings. Soon the sun was shining brightly and the air was crisp and clean. The weather would be good for the long weekend I surmized.
.
Nothing else happened that sparked my imagination about earlier events on the road. There were no more Christian signs and no more Alaskan vehicles to pique my imagination. I do not actually need any props to think about the girl, however, and something as simple as an Alaskan license plate only adds to the excitement of my day. The day ended on a whimpering note and it was time to drive home. There were no last minute deliveries and nothing to take me home and pay for the gas as it were. I did not want any anyhow. I just wanted to go home and enjoy the long weekend. I would do my usual McDonald's stop somewhere along the way and relax a bit before completing my journey back home to Surrey.
.
I got home and turned on my computer. It did not take me long to find out that Senator John McCain had chosen his running mate. It was the female Governor of the State of Alaska. The rookie female Governor. The girl with hardly any experience at all. Wow. What a provacative choice. I had heard of the Governor only recently and I had left a comment about her on one of the sites that I visit from time to time. The poster had her picture on her website. That is the picture that I have included above. I thought it appropriate to leave a comment on the blog because the picture was taken in Juneau, Alaska. Seems like that is where all the action is and all of the important women in Alaska hang out. And, it looks like John McCain, looking for a conservative candidate that can appeal to the Christian voters found his woman and his running mate. I had no idea this was coming down. But, then how would I not being a Republican sympathizer, I mean? The religious connection? I would have to say that it would be Sarah Palin's strong views regarding pro life - these are Christian things. And, I am quite convinced that is what the courier gods were trying to tell me today. That they had chosen another Alaskan woman to be part of my life. The gods really do work in mysterious ways.
.
.
From the National Post Newspaper...
.
" Why Sarah Palin? She’s a social conservative who already has family-values Republicans doing cartwheels of joy over her selection. Her anti-abortion credentials could light a spark under "values voters" who have never really warmed to McCain, who needlessly antagonized them by musing openly about picking a pro-choice candidate. There’s a reason George W. Bush won two elections – it was because the Republican base was motivated, just as Democrats are now.
.
Palin has a reputation in Juneau as “Sarah Barracuda,” a politician with sharp elbows who loves a fight. Since almost nothing is known right now about her abilities on the national stage, nothing is certain. Her biggest test will come October 8, when she will square off against Delaware Senator Joe Biden in the vice presidential debate in St. Louis. "
.
See source for above article here:
.
.
You are visiting the main part of my blog.
There are two other parts and they
are shown below
.
1 Dear Diary
.
2 The Existence of God is Under Review
.
My Home Page and Blog Organization
.

No comments: